This 5 Things Wednesday is dedicated to my classmate turned friend who has asked me a couple of times: What would you tell your 23 year old self? At 23, she is experiencing the turmoil of finding direction in life. Soon to graduate, the uncertain future is approaching quickly and she is feeling the pressure to figure it out. We’ve all been there, right?! Here’s what I told her the other day, plus a couple bonuses.
- Chill the hell out. No really. The anxiety of this season is hard enough without adding a bunch of “what if” scenarios that you ruminate on day-in and day-out. Anxiety will only add to the difficulty of decision making.
- Stay faithful in the now. So much of my twenties consisted of just putting one foot in front of the other. Showing up to class, work, paying the bills. The little things in the every day need your faithfulness.
- Filter the voices. Not everyone’s opinion is valid or even helpful. The same thing goes with certain media that you turn to for guidance (ie Instagram, books, famous people or people you admire). Find your people that you are able to share your concerns with and tell everyone else you’re doing “fine”. I give you full permission. You are not being inauthentic. You’re being wise.
- God isn’t testing you or your faithfulness or your trust in Him. He is totally and completed pleased with you and cherishes you. His desire only is for you to know Him more deeply. God isn’t going to give out grades at the end of this season. Don’t mistake pain as a sign of testing when really it’s just growth.
- Embrace the uncertainty and the lack of clarity. You are growing in your tolerance of the unknown and learning to trust the God who has taken up residence in your very being. Learn to trust your gut and pay attention to your desires. God is with you always, my friend.
Have a blessed Wednesday!
Feature Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash